Wednesday, March 5, 2008

How was it humanly possible?






Discussion in Holocaust Literature today centered around the question, how was it humanly possible? These kids are blowing my mind. I have never had a class so engaged in the subject matter, any kind of class. I got an email tonight from a student who had been researching independently and found a podcast for me to listen to. I have been to youtube at the request of another, listened to iTunes podcasts suggested by another, previewed two movies suggested by a fourth, and had innumerable conversations and discussions outside of class. They are certainly keeping me hopping! The amount of work (unrequired by me) that they are doing just serves to honor the memory of both the living and the dead from the Holocaust. It also, to me, gives hope in the future. They don't see this as an isolated event in history, but as something that is applicable today for them. I feel so blessed to have been able to develop this curriculum and teach this class. The topic is near and dear to my heart and the passion they are developing for research and the struggles they are having with questions like how was it humanly possible are so rewarding to me as a teacher. Most importantly, though, is that the Holocaust is never forgotten and the lessons learned here are passed on to this new generation.

No comments: